Youth In Harmony!
If you’re like most high school choral directors, you’ve probably asked yourself,
“How can I attract more male singers to my choral program and keep them interested
in singing?” The Barbershop Harmony Society and the
River Cities Jubilee Chorus want to help address this issue.
The Society’s Youth in Harmony (YIH) program provides an introduction
to a distinctly American art form that’ll excite your students about vocal music.
Why Barbershop harmony? It’s fun! Students enjoy singing
it, thrill to the performance opportunities, and share something that’s unique and
novel. Not only do your current singers gain satisfaction, but their infectious
enthusiasm can recruit other students.
Barbershop harmony is helpful in promoting a number of musical skills:
- Improves ear training for accurate tuning.
- Develops a strong sense of tonality, resolving around the Circle of Fifths.
- Helps develop sensitivity to chord balancing and choral blend.
- Stresses proper diction in execution of word sounds.
- Builds interpretive skills to provide a more exciting performance.